Monday, November 7, 2011

Entertaining Quilters: Mannino's Quilt Workshop, A Letter to its Members

Dear Quilting Buddies,

From the desk of a Messy:

I entertained three times in 7 days. My house was in order enough to spend the day without any cleaning. Well, the big stuff. I think a person who entertains twice a week scores a 7 on the clean house scale. At least according to Sandra Felton!  : ) I don't REALLY want to be a 10. I think I can be happy with that score.

Today, Maleny and I and David spent the whole day, minus bread baking moments, in the basement. I had planned to let David play with my machine, writing his name, and anything else, while I made a block, AFTER I finished a turtle neck project. I worked on the TN, but Maleny wished to build a block, so she designed and I cut her some material and assisted her project, taking out seams on mine, and hers sometimes. I found myself getting a little impatient, but realized if I did that, she was not going to think it worth being with me, so
I caught myself without duct tape. : )



David was happy to be in the playroom by himself singing and imagining with the Play Mobile. Maleny completed a block, and I constructed the shirt I cut out last night.



Tonight I get to learn how to use a double needle to hem the cuffs and bottom of the shirt. I am learning several things, before I sew with Dana. She is actually very frightened of the process. One, being to take this process lightly, and remember that I am doing this more to "be with" than to have a great final product. Second that this is a learning process and I have to stick with it, and don't keep doing the same dumb things over again. An Alanon lesson. The shirt I made was done without taking any measurements. It fits OK, 'cept the shoulders. Too big. So I am not going to make any more clothing without measurements and I wont make any more for myself till Dana gets some experience. I don't mind wearing this with a jumper or sweater to hide the frumpy shoulders. : ) I will do better next time. The fabric was only 2.00 so I am not going to spend any more time with it, it will be warm any way. I found an old replica of this pattern in the envelope that was supper adjusted for pregnancy, CLARA. I made three of these shirts for her inside. : )

Tomorrow I have glider cushions that I cut out 5.5 years ago. I wanted to do these on the singer, but the Singer was at Beth's house. The plan is to let Maleny sew another block and I will work on the cushions. Problem, the foam is expensive and I don't like what they have at Joannes, it always looks like it is 15 years old, with yellow. : ( But I wont let that stop me. Dave is jazzed that I am working on cushions and told me he wanted me to replace the rocking chair ones as well. So even if I have to go to Royal upholstery for the foam, it will be done. : )

Wednesday is Dave's day off, I hope to repair the Roman Stripe blocks and make the last one. Yet when he has the day off, I never know what will happen. We shall see. I also have a trip to my Moms grave on the agenda, Dave might suggest a tandem ride there if the weather is above 45. BRRRRRRR!

Please think about dinner for Thursday night and give me some suggestions. : )  Put in your ideas early, because I need some time to procure and look it up.

In closing I want to thank you three for giving me motivation to expand my "sacred space". The most important is the place in my heart and I hope in God's Grace to clean up there too. This small group is social presence enough for me to work on that. Thanks!

Love,
Rhonda
PS We have a new member.

No comments:

Post a Comment